finance, investment, life, Marriage life, money, social media, Uncategorized

5 Money Habits You Need to Follow

It’s been a while since I wrote a post on investments. I did a bit of a research from various sources including my dad’s word of mouth and have mentioned the following points. You may read on:

  • Start Early :

Many billionaires follow this strategy. Starting with your very first paycheck, you may put in a small amount of money as a part of your investment. Even if it is as small as a thousand bucks, it is money that is saved after all.

Always remember the 60-40 rule, where you spend 60% of what you earn and save or invest the rest of the 40%.

This is just for a reference. Even if you are not able to save up 40% during the initial stages of your career, it is just alright. You may start with something small. There is no hard and fast rule.

  • Choose Your People Wisely:

Friends and Family are an integral part of our lives. But what if he or she turns out to be your biggest weakness?? I am mentioning this here as a bullet point because you will be able to avoid anyone who is piling on you despite being employed. If you and your other friend is employed, you can take turns to pay your restaurant bills or split your bills whenever you guys are catching up. Once in a while a treat is fine, but this is not supposed to go on forever.

It is a fair warning, if it’s your date and he/she makes you pay your bill more than three dates, despite being employed, you must watch out.

Be around people who value money as much as you do. 

  • Automate your money:

Do a little research and find out more about mutual funds or SIP’s or whatever you would like to invest in, make sure a certain amount of money goes onto these automatically. It is advisable to set it on a date which is right after your salary date. You may have a buffer of 2 or 3 days. This way, you would not spend everything you earn.

  • Lifestyle jumps:

Whenever we get an appraisal or a raise, we would start making plans to spend that extra amount of money that would be adding to our existing salary.  During my first job, I was having a lot of thoughts of buying a shoe that costed 2k rupees, but during my second job, when I was earning more I easily spent 1.5k rupees on a mere lipstick. This is not a good habit to inculcate in our lifestyles.

Yes, you need to stick onto your life like before  if you had everything you needed and instead of making plans of spending, make plans to invest. 

  • Simpler life:

Always, buy only what you really need, not what you want. I am a hoarder when it comes to home décor and stationery, I am learning to control. Try to adapt to minimalism style of living. It’s absolutely fine to binge on something luxurious once in a while, but you need to keep a check on it. Think before you go clubbing or eating out. It all feels great for a few hours but it doesn’t help in a long run.

When you are investing on some luxurious brand, think twice about why you are doing it. If it were your bucket list it’s fine, but if you are gonna buy it to impress the people around, you must reconsider your decision.

On the contrary, when you spend on electronics, compare the life of it and then invest. Always choose something that lasts longer even if it is to spend a few hundred bucks more. The next things one would spend is the clothes. Get pieces that might last longer and of course a versatile piece that can be styled differently for different occasions.

And Remember, You need people to value you for you, not the brands you carry or the things you own. No, you do not have to prove people about how much money you have.  

Have a great week ahead folks!!

Written by,

Divya Shankar

 

Sources:

  • Outlook money

 

 

2 thoughts on “5 Money Habits You Need to Follow”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s